Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Canadian Election Post-Mortem

The good people of Canada ignored my advice and re-elected Prime Minister Darth Harper.

It's interesting how similar Harper and Richard Nixon are – both intelligent men, respected but not loved by the public, and both so seething with resentment at eastern liberal elites that they concluded that the laws of morality and common decency do not apply to their dark practice of the art of politics. Nixon was eventually brought down by his evil scheming. I fear that Harper will end up as "the guy who gets away with it" (to borrow a phrase from the great film LA Confidential.)

I participated in a for-charity office election pool organized by official Godiva toy boy Archibald. The winner is the person to come closest to the final outcome in the next House of Commons.

Pending recounts, here is how I did:

Party

Godiva Guess

Actual Result

Difference

Conservatives

125 seats

143

18

Liberals

86

77

9

Bloc Quebec

55

49

6

NDP

41

37

4

Others

1

2

1

Total

308

308

38


 

As you can see, I didn't come close or even reasonably close (reminds me of my boring past life with ex-boyfriend Reginald).

No comments: